At Pickwick’s address, the corner Drottninggatan / Fredsgatan, in the 1770s, the tavern Kejsarkronan was located in a house from the 17th century. The house is still standing, but has been rebuilt.
The Emperor’s Crown was opened by Elias Rynning, the wine bar on October 1, 1774. The pub soon became the venue for young intellectuals and brothers of order in Stockholm – the property was owned by the fanatical order swarm Carl Fredrik Eckleff.
Bellman, Hallman and Kexél often sat here. They were freemasons all three, but had grown tired of the seriousness and longed for something more fun. The Emperor’s Crown became the center of their improvised little order shooter.
One who may have participated in it was the town’s entertainment dad Gottfried Sackenhjelm. When he died, Hallman was appointed to hold a parentage on the Emperor’s Crown on November 17, 1777.
He did so with such elegance that he decided to form a real order society called Par Bricole, which also happened on May 15, 1779.
The Imperial Crown no longer exists. But in terms of good food and good drinks, Pickwick’s corner traditions have been taken over. And nowadays they are looking for something that appreciates a cultivated environment.